Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Ready, Set, Read!

image by Patina Vie


I made a post on my Facebook page yesterday that asked:

I'm headed to the library tomorrow. I'm looking for suggestions but not interested in newly popular titles because I don't want to sign onto a waiting list. I'm wondering, what has been your favourite book ever?

My Facebook friends came up trumps in their replies.  The titles ranged from childhood favourites to adult non fiction, and all are interesting.  I'm looking forward to reading my way through the list.  

Would you care to join me?  

I don't want to form a formal book club where we all read the same things at the same time, but I do think it would be fun to share our opinions of these books.  Your comments and book reviews can be posted on the wall on my Facebook page.

I'm looking forward to hearing about what you're reading, if you enjoyed it, and to receiving your title suggestions, but please remember: 
  1. My page is a positive place where manners are valued.  It's okay not to like a book, or a part of the book, and to express that opinion, but please be polite.
  2. This is intended as a forum for discussion, not advertisement.  Comments containing uninvited links or product promotions will be deleted.
  3. Posts containing profanities will be deleted.
Here's the list.  I've highlighted the titles I've read in yellow.  Enjoy!

  • The Box Car Children Series by Gertrude Chandler Warner
  • The Virgin River Series by Robin Carr
  • Cinderella
  • Almost Heaven by Chris Fabry
  • The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
  • The Girl Who Hung the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Daughter by Sarah Douglass
  • God’s Concubine by Sarah Douglass
  • Darkwitch Rising by Sarah Douglass
  • Druid’s Sword by Sarah Douglass
  • Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café by Fanny Flagg
  • The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
  • Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle by Chris Hedges
  • The Color of Water by James McBride
  • Oil by Upton Sinclair
  • Anything by Dorothea Benton Frank   (I've read all of her books)
  • Anything by Celia Rivenbark
  • Animal, Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kitt
  • Letters to Nicholas by James Patterson
  • Sam’s Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson
  • Anything by James Patterson
  • The Martha Series of Little House on the Prairie Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  • Anything by Carolly Erickson, but especially the books about Catherine the Great, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, or the Tudors
  • The Princess Books trilogy narrated by Princess Sultana Al Sa'ud to Jean Sasson
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
  • Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
  • Any of the Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Anything by Steven King
  • Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
  • Anything by Thomas Hardy (I've read all of his books)
  • War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  • A Child Called It by David Pelter
  • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
  • Anything by Agatha Christie
  • Anything by Rosamunde Pilcher (I've read all of her books)
  • Anything by Maeve Binchy (I've read all of her books)
  • The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
  • Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
  • Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
  • The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
  • Anything by Debbie McComber
  • Anything by Nora Roberts
  • World Without End by Ken Follet
  • The Foxfire Books 
  • Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet
_______________________________________
image source:  http://blog.patinavie.com/category/vintage/