Pages

Sunday 30 October 2011

Changing Direction


I haven’t been writing much lately and I do apologize.  I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do with this blog and where I want to go from here. 

As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve had some health problems in recent months.  Lately, they’ve affected my outlook on cooking because I am often not hungry and so eat only because I know I need to.  Eating for sustenance rather than enjoyment takes a great deal of the pleasure out of cooking.  I’m sure this will change soon (I usually have a huge appetite and a tremendous enthusiasm for food) but right now—for the first time in my life—I find myself viewing my kitchen time as a chore rather than a pleasure.  That, of course, makes it a challenge to write about food.

Being sick for a long time has affected my outlook about food in another way that is both more esoteric and more fundamental.  I realize that, while cooking is certainly a great love of mine and that my passion for food was the driving force behind starting my business, it is really only one of many interests in my life.  I am by nature a dilettante, constantly interested in different and diverse things, constantly wanting to move on and learn more. 

My hiatus from work leaves me unable to continue with catering, at least for a while.  I’ll have to save up some money before I can work for myself again.  I'm sad to have to leave my business behind even temporarily but, oddly, in its own way, taking a break may be a good thing.  Changing my focus will enable me to look at the broader range of my interests with renewed curiosity. 

Which brings me back to the subject of my blog:

I do want to continue writing about food, and about local farmers and food producers but
I want to write about other things too.  I want to write about grocery shopping and budgeting, about arts and crafts and photography, about making new stuff from old, about seasonal celebrations, about activities in and around the area, about gardens and how stuff grows, about fun stuff to do with kids…about all the things that interest me really.  So you’ll be seeing some changes here.  Much of my writing will continue to be food-centric but many other subjects will come up too. 

Please bear with me while I find my way in this new direction.  If you have suggestions about what you’d like to read about or comments on what I do write about, I’d love to hear them.  Thanks for your patience.

 ---------------------------------------------
Illustration:  http://handletteringcite.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/its-considered-golden-too-citing-a-spanish-proverb/

No comments: