Pages

Saturday 9 April 2011

Pantry Supper

There are times when, having cooked all day for my customers, I’m ill inclined to cook dinner for the two of us.  On those days, rotisserie chicken is my favourite take out supper.

I never feel guilty for bringing home a rotisserie chicken.  It’s often less expensive than an uncooked chicken from the meat counter and, served with some rice and a salad, it makes a nutritious meal. I like the leftovers too.  I can make a sandwich supper, a casserole, or a pasta dish from the left over meat and then use the carcass to make stock.

We had rotisserie chicken for supper last night so tonight I planned on sandwiches.  I didn’t want to go to the store so I looked in the fridge and pantry and then planned my menu accordingly. 

I baked white bread today so I knew what my sandwiches would be built on.  I added savoury cranberry relish, chicken breast meat, brie, and thinly sliced granny smith apples.  Once the sandwiches were assembled, I buttered each side and grilled them until they were golden brown.  I finished them in a 350 degree oven just until the cheese was melted. I served my chicken sandwiches with homemade tomato soup.  Heaven!

It’s easy to forget how comforting soup and a grilled cheese sandwich can be, but I’m tired today and grateful for the ease this kind of supper brings.  I’m also very pleased that my sandwich experiment turned out so well.  It’s a good day when you can produce such a lovely supper from just what you have on hand.

No comments: