Pages

Monday 21 March 2011

Kale with Crispy Bacon and Sherry


I’ve pledged to include more cruciferous vegetables in my diet.  To that end, we had kale as a side dish with dinner tonight, with crispy bacon and sherry. 

It’s a simple dish to cook; not a recipe really, more a technique.  Here’s how I made it:

I began by washing the kale.  I soaked it in several rinses of cold water and then put it in a colander to drain. 

Next, I finely minced some thick cut, apple wood smoked bacon and sautéed it in a heavy-bottomed pan until it was crisp.  I removed the bacon from the pan, set on a plate lined with paper towel, and put it in the oven to stay warm. 

Once the bacon was removed from the pan, I deglazed the pan with a small amount Amontillado sherry, stirring and cooking until the sherry was reduced by half. 

When the sherry was reduced, I added the kale with only the water that remained on the leaves.  I stirred it occasionally until it was cooked down. 

When the kale was cooked, I removed it to a shallow dish and topped it with the crispy bacon. 

There are several reasons I like this dish.  First, and most importantly, it tastes good.  It’s also easy to prepare and can be made with locally grown produce.  It’s rich in vitamins A, C and K, is a source of vitamins  B1, B3, B6 and E, and of  calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium.  Pretty powerful stuff! 

Do you have a favourite kale recipe?  Care to share it? 
   

No comments: